We call for Cap’n Crunch cereal in this recipe, but you can swap in an alternative if you prefer. Although Cap’n Crunch does appear to be vegan, it does contain an insane amount of weird things in the ingredients, so try using an all-natural variety, such as Gorilla Munch, if you like.
Ingredients for The Captain's French Toast:
- 2 cups (72 g) sweet corn cereal, such as Cap’n Crunch, crushed into a powder
- 1⁄2 cup (62 g) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (235 ml) vanilla-flavored nondairy milk
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) nondairy butter, for frying
- 6 slices stale French bread, about 1⁄2 inch (1.25 cm) thick Maple syrup, for serving
- Combine the crushed cereal, flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a shallow dish. Stir in the milk to make a thick batter.
- Preheat a frying pan over high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon (14 g) of the butter for every 2 slices of French toast.
- Dip each piece of bread into the batter. The batter is thick, so you may need to smear it on the bread with your fingers. Panfry for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy. Serve hot with pure maple syrup.
Recipe Note: In addition to butter and warm maple syrup, sliced strawberries (as shown) or fresh blueberries and a dollop of nondairy whipped cream taste spectacular served atop this sweet breakfast treat.