Serves/Yields: 12 Muffins
As fresh produce suddenly returns to barren markets after the end of winter, I can hardly resist snapping up anything and everything available. Inevitably, there’s always more than I can fit into my daily cooking, and just a few handfuls of these ingredients don’t add up to much on their own. However, put them all together and you have a flavor sensation, not to mention a much less burdened fridge! These muffins are a great excuse to use up some leftover produce, so feel free to swapping out the rhubarb or strawberries for anything from apples to frozen berries, depending on what you happen to have.
Ingredients for STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB MUFFINS:
- 1 Cup Plain Soymilk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Finely Diced Fresh Rhubarb
- 1 Cup Chopped Fresh Strawberries
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Ingredients for OATMEAL TOPPING:
- 3 Tablespoons Rolled Oats
- 3 Tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 medium-sized muffin cups and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soymilk and vinegar, and let sit for a minute to curdle. Add in the sugar, oil, and vanilla, stirring thoroughly until the mixture is homogenous.
- Separately, mix together both flours, baking powder and soda, cardamom, and salt, making sure that all the ingredients are completely incorporated. Mix in the rhubarb and strawberries, tossing to coat. By covering them with flour, you will prevent the fruits from sinking to the bottom of your muffins, so make sure you don’t skip this step!
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir just until combined. Distribute the batter evenly between your prepared muffin cups, and top them with a sprinkle of both the oats and turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 18 – 24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning them out and cooling them completely on a wire rack.