Here is where amazing flavor and high nutrition come together. Loaded with nutrients, kale is the supreme leader of the green super foods kingdom. Virtually all of us benefit from the inclusion of more kale in our diet. Pepitas, aka pumpkin seeds, are also tasty nutritional powerhouses and are a source of protein and zinc.
Ingredients for Spicy Pepita Raw Kale Soup :
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas
- 3 cups fairly tightly packed chopped kale
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon seeded and diced hot pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari or other soy sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup seeded and minced red bell pepper, for garnish
- Place the pepitas in a small bowl with ample water to cover. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse well.
- Place in a strong blender with all the remaining ingredients, except the cilantro and red bell pepper, and blend until very creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the cilantro, and stir well. Top with the red bell pepper before serving