Serves/Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Onions, herbs, and garlic take already
hearty cornbread to a whole new savory
place we never want to leave. We’re happy
and hungry that way!
Ingredients for Skillet Cornbread:
- 1 cup (235 ml) unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup (56 g) nondairy butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 extra tablespoon (14 g) for the skillet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup (5 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) granulated onion
- 1⁄2 cup (120 g) nondairy sour cream, store-bought or homemade, or plain soy yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11⁄2 cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup (105 g) cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Place a dry 8-inch (20-cm) cast-iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.
- Combine the milk, melted butter, salt, cilantro, onion, sour cream, pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder on top. Stir until just combined.
- Place the remaining 1 tablespoon (14 g) butter in the hot skillet, brushing it all over.
- Pour the batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the skillet. Let cool on wire rack.