These treats aren’t too sweet if you use unsweetened coconut. Alternatively, you can substitute 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweetened coconut for part of the unsweetened coconut and omit the confectioners’ sugar. If you don’t have dark rum, use ½ to 1 teaspoon rum extract and make up the rest of the liquid (to equal the 1 tablespoon) with pineapple juice or a little water or almond milk.
Ingredients for Bottom Layer:
- 1 cup dried pineapple pieces
- ½ cup raw cashews or slivered almonds
- ½ cup old-fashioned (rolled) oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon Myers' dark rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract and 2 teaspoons water or pineapple juice
Ingredients for Top Layer:
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon Myers' dark rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup fresh or canned pineapple chunks, blotted dry
- Combine the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, rum, coconut extract, if using, and ¼ cup of the shredded coconut in a food processor.
- Process until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thin, add a little more confectioners’ sugar and process again.
- Spread the topping mixture evenly over the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle the top with the pineapple chunks and the remaining ¼ cup coconut.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut into 9 squares.
Note: Be sure you use dried pineapple pieces to make the bottom layer (not fresh or canned) or it will be too wet.
Quick and Easy | No Oil