Serves/Yields: 8 wings
Not that you need any special occasion to prepare this easy and delicious finger food, but these wings will be especially welcome during football season.
Ingredients for Orange Chipotle Wings:
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) blended chipotle and adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons (4.8 g) granulated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 8 ounces (227 g) tempeh, cut lengthwise into 8 pieces
- Scant 1⁄2 cup (55 g) arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup (40 g) panko or other bread crumbs, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) nondairy butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons (1.2 g) dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) packed light brown sugar
- In a shallow dish, combine the orange zest, juice, chipotle sauce, onion, garlic, and salt. Place the tempeh pieces in the dish and marinate for 10 minutes, flipping them over occasionally.
- In the meantime, place the arrowroot powder in another shallow dish.
- Place the bread crumbs in yet another shallow dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Dredge a piece of tempeh in the arrowroot powder, making sure every side is covered and shaking off the excess powder.
- Dip back into the marinade on each side.
- Dredge in the bread crumbs, making sure every side is covered.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining 7 tempeh slices.
- There will be leftover marinade; don’t worry if some of the arrowroot powder or bread crumbs are left in there.
- Coat each tempeh piece with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes, flip over, and bake for 15 minutes longer.
- As the tempeh bakes, whisk together the remaining marinade, melted butter, cilantro, and sugar.
- Remove the wings from the oven and cover them with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.