I sure love me some mac and cheese, and this one doesn’t disappoint. A little bit of sass from the peppers and a little bit of crunch from the panko really satisfy my cravings for a warm, hearty, curl-up-on-the-couch-with-a-bowl of mac and cheese! I really like to top mine with a healthy dollop of Spiced Ketchup (page_21), a habit I picked up from my mom growing up, when she used to top the boxed variety of macaroni and cheese with a big old squirt of tomato ketchup.
Ingredients for Miso Mac and Cheese:
- 1 pound (454 g) dry pasta, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 recipe Miso Mustard Cheese Sauce (page_24), divided
- 1 cup (80 g) panko bread crumbs, divided
- 2 whole roasted bell peppers, seeded and diced_(I love roasted jalapeños, but for the not-so-spicy, roasted red peppers add great flavor!)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC, or gas mark 6).
- In a large bowl, add the pasta, most of the sauce reserving 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) for later use 1⁄2 cup (40 g) of the panko, and the diced peppers and stir to combine.
- Add the mixture to an ovenproof casserole and top with the remaining 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) sauce. Sprinkle the remaining 1⁄2 cup (40 g) panko over the top.
- Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the panko is golden.