A healthier version of the Frango Mint Pie I ae as a child at Marshall Fields in Chicago.
Ingredients for Filling:
- 16 ounces of pitted dates soaked in 16 ounces of unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 12 ounces of walnuts
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tablespoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 teaspoons peppermint extract (depending on how minty you like it)
- ½ cup raw cacao nibs
Ingredients for Crust:
- 2 cups of raw walnuts
- 2 cups of pitted dates
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon alcohol-free vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process soaked dates and extracts until very smooth.
- Add cacao powder and process again until smooth.
- Place this in another bowl. Then process the nuts into a nut butter like consistency.
- Add coconut and process again.
- Add this to the date mixture and stir well by hand until all of the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Pour over crust and freeze until firm.
- Garnish with raw cacao nibs.
- In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process the nuts into a powder.
- Do not over process or you will have a nut butter.
- Add dates, a few at a time, until the mixture clumps together.
- Stop the machine and if you can easily roll a ball from the mixture and it sticks together you don’t need to add any more dates.
- Add extracts and process again briefly.
- Press the crust into a spring form pan.
- Spread filling over the top and freeze until solid.