Serves/Yields: makes about 1 pound Cook Time: 59 Serving Size: 1 ounce Fat: 5 g Saturated Fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 4 g Sodium: 270 Protein: 0 g
This is your go-to meltable vegan cheese. Use it to make killer pizza, calzones and lasagna.
Ingredients for Meltable Mozzarella:
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened nondairy yogurt (preferably homemade, see below)
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon carrageenan powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 8 cups ice water
- Put the yogurt, water, oil, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a blender. Process until smooth and creamy, occasionally stopping to scrape down the blender jar and move the mixture toward the blades.
- Transfer to a clean glass bowl or container, cover, and let rest at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours, until mildly sharp in flavor.
- Transfer to a heavy medium saucepan and whisk in the tapioca flour and carrageenan. For a stretchier consistency, whisk in the optional xanthan gum.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly with the whisk, until very smooth, thick, gooey, and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To make a brine, put the ice water and remaining teaspoon of salt in a large bowl and stir until the salt dissolves.
- Form the cheese into balls using a small ice-cream scoop, dropping them into the brine as you go. They will harden almost instantly.
- Cover and refrigerate, keeping the cheese stored in the brine.
STORAGE NOTES: Covered and stored in the brine, Meltable Mozzarella will keep for about 1 week in the refrigerator.