This is the dish to serve when you wish to impress your friends with tofu's delicious possibilities. The crust lends itself to numerous variations. Serve on a bed of quinoa.
Ingredients for Macadamia Crusted Tofu:
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 recipe Creamy Tahini Marinade (see below)
Ingredients for Crust:
- ½ cup Macadamias, roasted no salt
- 1 tablespoon Coconut, shredded & toasted
- 1 teaspoon Cilantro, minced
- ½ teaspoon Cumin, toasted
- ¼ teaspoon Chili powder
- Pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt, to taste
Ingredients for Creamy Tahini Marinade:
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini or other nut butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced, or ginger, peeled and minced – optional
- Pinch cayenne
To prepare the tofu:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place soy sauce and water in a 9” x13” casserole dish, add tofu cutlets and allow to sit for 5 minutes before flipping. Let sit for another 5 minutes. Prepare Creamy Tahini Marinade and pour or spread over tofu cutlets. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. (Cutlets may also be marinated the day before the dish is prepared.) Place dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While tofu is marinating and baking, place crust ingredients in food processor and process until chopped fine.
- Remove tofu from oven, cover liberally with crust mixture, return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot.
To prepare the Creamy Tahini Marinade:
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.