Occasionally I want a sweet treat that isn’t chocolate. Rare, but true. These little bites fit the bill perfectly—sweet, with a kiss of zesty lemon!
Ingredients for Lemon-Kissed Blondie Bites:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1½ teaspoons lemon zest
- Seeds scraped from
- 1 vanilla bean (see note) or ¼–½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- Couple pinches sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
Ingredients for Optional Coating:
- 3–4 teaspoons shredded coconut
- 3–4 teaspoons rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- In a food processor, add the dates, oats, cashews, lemon zest, vanilla bean seeds, sea salt, and lemon juice and process. At first it will appear as if nothing is happening and the mixture is just whirring around crumbs, but it will soon start to become sticky.
- When the mixture starts to become a little sticky, add the shredded coconut and process again. Continue to process until the dough forms a ball on the blade. Stop, and then remove the dough.
- Take 1–1½ tablespoon scoops of the dough and roll in your hand. Repeat until you have used all of the dough.
To make the coating:
- In a small bowl, combine the shredded coconut, rolled oats, and lemon zest.
- Toss or roll the balls in the coating if desired, and refrigerate.
Vanilla Note: To remove the vanilla seeds from the bean, slice down the outer side of the bean to open up lengthwise. Press open the sides, and using a blunt knife, scrape out the tiny seeds from both sides. The pod can be discarded or kept to infuse flavor in other dishes.
Kitchen Tip: The texture of these bites is somewhat soft, but firms with chilling. For a firmer texture, add another 2 tablespoons of rolled oats.