Every family seems to have a special recipe for sweet potato casserole. This one is less sweet than the sticky sweet casserole of my youth. It skips the caramel and marshmallow that are sometimes included. You could add vegan versions of both if you really want to. After all, any day is a holiday when you get to eat sweet potato casserole!
Ingredients for the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) nondairy butter
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup (170 g) packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup (30 g) whole wheat flour
- (*use gluten-free baking mix)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) nondairy milk or water
Ingredients for Recipe:
- 8 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup (55 g) chopped pecans
- 11⁄2 cups (355 ml) water
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 cup (60 to 120 ml) plain or vanilla-flavored nondairy milk
The night before:
- To make the topping: Combine all the topping ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Store the topping and the cut-up sweet potatoes in airtight containers in the fridge.
- Store the chopped pecans in a covered bowl, unrefrigerated.
In the morning:
- Oil the crock of your slow cooker.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 to 45 minutes before serving, turn up the slow cooker to high.
- Mash the sweet potatoes in the crock. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) of the nondairy milk and stir to combine.
- Add the remaining 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) milk if the potatoes are still too stiff, but leave it out if they are runny.
- Drop spoonfuls of the topping onto the sweet potatoes. As the topping begins to melt, spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle on the nuts.
- Serve once the topping is melted and heated throughout.