Maryland crab cakes are traditionally oversized, and I wanted to recreate them using hearts of palm and traditional seasonings. I make them gluten-free and pair them with a garlicky dill aïoli. I don’t know if it’s spot on, but from what I hear, it’s pretty darn close. Use a soy-free mayo to make this soy-free.
Ingredients for GARLICKY DILL AÏOLI:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Ingredients for CRAB CAKES:
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil, divided, plus more for frying
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, (not packed in sugar), roughly chopped to the consistency of crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
Ingredients for BREADING:
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs, or more
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garlicky Dill Aïoli: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. Set in the fridge to keep cool.
- Crab Cakes: Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-heat heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, add to the hearts of palm, and mix well. Add the Old Bay seasoning, cornstarch, and mayo.
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then shape the mixture into four round patties.
- Breading: In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Old Bay seasoning, stirring to mix. Coat the patties with the breadcrumb mixture and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium- high heat until hot and shimmering. Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Watch closely to prevent burning. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Serve hot, topped with the aïoli, with lemon wedges on the side.