Made with chickpea flour, farinata is actually more of a savory pancake than a bread. It’s easy to make this Ligurian specialty that can be served as an appetizer or as part of the main meal. Farinata is often prepared without embellishment, but I sometimes add a fresh herb such as rosemary or sage, or chopped olives and sun-dried tomatoes.
Ingredients for Farinata with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Olives:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the water and chickpea flour until smooth.
- Add the oil, salt, a few grinds of pepper, olives, and tomatoes, and mix until well blended.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Oil a 12-inch pizza pan and heat in the oven until hot.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven and add the batter, spreading evenly.
- Bake until the top is firm and the edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into thin wedges and serve immediately.
Gluten-free | Soy-free