Sometimes you need something lighter or different from the same old mashed potatoes. Last year I was on an eating plan that cut out potatoes and I had to make a substitute or I wouldn’t make it though the winter. These are light and creamy, the perfect mashed potato pretender.
Ingredients for Fantastic Faux Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets (frozen is fine too)
- 4 medium-size parsnips, peeled if not organic and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 to 1 cup (120 to 235 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1⁄4 cup (56 g) nondairy butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
The night before:
- Store the prepared vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge.
In the morning:
- Place the cauliflower, parsnips, and water in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Before serving, pour out some of the water, if needed—you don’t want this to be too soupy.
- Add 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) of the milk and the butter puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor. You have to keep at it until they look like mashed potatoes. (They will—I promise!)
- Add the remaining 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) milk if they are too stiff.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.