Serves/Yields: 16 Burgers
Yep, green burgers. This recipe makes a lot, but they freeze well, so you can have green burgers all week long!
Ingredients for Edamame Burgers:
- 2 cups (340 g) shelled and frozen edamame
- 1 can (15 ounces, or 420 g) chickpeas, with liquid
- 8 ounces (227 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup (65 g) finely ground raw cashews
- 1⁄2 cup (60 g) nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 31⁄2 cups (420 g) chickpea flour
- Oil, for frying
- Place the frozen edamame and the entire can of chickpeas, including the liquid, in a saucepot and warm through. This step is to defrost the edamame; if you use fresh or precooked edamame, you can skip this step.
- Combine the edamame, chickpeas and liquid, mushrooms, cashews, yeast, garlic, cumin, liquid smoke, liquid aminos, and salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour into a large bowl.
- Slowly add the flour until a thicker consistency is formed. Depending on the moisture content of your mixture, you may need just a little flour or a whole lot.
- Place the entire bowl in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes to stiffen up and make it easier to handle when forming the patties.
- Form into 16 patties.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and fry the patties for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.