Part cracker, part biscuit, these savory, hearty, and heart-healthy treats are perfect with fruit and vegan cheese for a light snack or supper, or with a big bowl of vegan soup. They are called hearts because that’s the shape we picked for our cookie cutter, but use any shape you have. We’re just big softies.
Ingredients for Caraway, Rye, and Spelt Hearts:
- 175 g (11⁄4 cups) whole spelt flour
- 120 g (1 cup) dark rye flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scant teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- 13 g (2 tablespoons) caraway or
- sesame seeds, or a combination
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) neutral-flavored oil
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt, seeds, and onion powder in a large bowl. Pour the oil on top, and use a fork to evenly distribute it throughout the mixture.
- Slowly add the water until a kneadable and soft dough is obtained.
- Knead a few times to make sure all the ingredients are well combined and incorporated.
- Turn out the dough onto a large silicone mat and roll out to approximately 1⁄4 inch (6 mm) thick. Use a 2-inch (5 cm) cookie cutter to cut out the crackers and transfer to the prepared sheet. Prick the top of each cracker 3 times with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom (pick one up with oven mitts to have a look). Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes, to let the crackers crisp up. Let cool completely before placing in an airtight container.
- Enjoy within a day, two at the most, after baking.