Serves/Yields: Makes 1 loaf banana bread or 12 muffins
A variation of this quick bread appeared in my first cookbook, The Everyday Vegan. I have since modified it to accommodate more dietary needs, as it is one of my most popular recipes ever!
Ingredients for Best Banana Bread (or Muffins):
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 cup plus 3–4 tablespoons spelt flour; see note for gluten-free version)
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup pureed overripe banana (see note)
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3–4 tablespoons nondairy chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wipe or spray a loaf pan with oil and line with a strip of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, combine the pureed banana, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add the wet mixture to the dry, then add the chocolate chips, and stir through until just well combined (don’t overmix).
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 43–48 minutes, until golden and a toothpick or skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Gluten-Free Option: Replace all the flour with 2 full cups of certified gluten-free oat flour, or with 13/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (ex: Bob’s Red Mill) plus 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons almond meal and 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum.
- Banana Note: Puree several medium-large overripe bananas in a blender or with an immersion blender and deep cup, then measure to get your 1 cup.
- Kitchen Tip: To make muffins instead of a quick bread, pour mixture into a 12-cup muffin pan fitted with cupcake liners. Bake for 17–20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove, let cool for a few minutes in pan, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.