Why buy plant milk in a box laden with sodium when you can make your own for just pennies a glass?
Ingredients for Almond Milk:
- 1 cup raw almonds (or your favorite nut or seed)
- Soak the almonds overnight in filtered water. Be sure to cover completely as they expand as they absorb water.
- In the morning, drain completely and rinse well several times.
- Place the almonds in a blender with 3 cups of filtered water.
- Blend on high speed until the almonds are fully incorporated into the liquid.
- Pour mixture into a nut milk bag (you can get one at most department stores or online for under $5).
- Strain the milk from the pulp over a bowl until you can’t squeeze any more liquid out of the pulp.
- You can reserve the pulp for another use such as making cookies or crackers.
- Refrigerate any unused milk. Lasts about 2 – 3 days.
- If you like your nut milk thicker and richer, more like cream, just add less water.
- For thinner almond milk, add more water.
- For a sweet version, add a few dates (or date paste) and alcohol-free vanilla extract or almond extract.